LifeLock, based in Tempe, Arizona, was founded in 2002 and incorporated in 2005.
Lifelock is a well-known identity theft protection company. You may have seen the TV ads where the CEO posted his real Social Security number on billboards and on the sides of trucks.
What is Protected
Lifelock addresses security issues covering a wide range of personal data types. These include your Social Security number, drivers license number, address, credit or debit card numbers, and medical identification numbers.
Your data is protected in the following ways:
• Identity AlertTM – On your behalf, Lifelock places a security alert on your credit reports and takes steps to keep it in force throughout the year. This alert notifies potential credit grantors to verify your identification when a request for credit is made. This should result in some form of contact before new credit is issued against your name.
• Prescreen Opt-out – On your behalf, Lifelock requests your name be removed from pre-approved credit offer lists. You should then stop receiving pre-approved credit card offers in the mail. This reduces the chance of someone opening a new credit line using your name and address.
• eReconTM – Using proprietary methods, LifeLock searches the Web for illegal selling and/or trading of your personal information. You are then alerted, and the LifeLock staff assists you in resolving the problem.
• TrueAddressTM – LifeLock monitors address databases and works with you should any unauthorized changes be detected.
• WalletLockTM – Should your wallet be lost or stolen, a LifeLock representative will assist you in canceling and replacing its contents. This does not include lost cash, checks or photographs.
Levels of Service – Lifelock offers two levels of service called LifeLock and LifeLock Command Center. Both levels include the service guarantee, Identity Alert, removal from pre-approved credit card offers, WalletLock, eRecon, TrueAddress and 24-hour member service.
Lifelock Command Center
LifeLock Command Center adds additional features. LifeLock monitors certain types of net traffic, payday loan records, sex offender databases, pubic records dealing with addresses and looks for any aliases associated with your identifying information. They also locate and list court records that match your name and date of birth to flag any misuse of your personal information.
The $1,000,000.00 Guarantee
Lifelock offers a service guarantee which pays up to one million dollars to repair and help you recover direct losses due to a failure in their system. It is important to note that the guarantee only pays for professionals (lawyers, investigators, etc.) to help you recover losses, “but not any direct losses as a result of the theft.” Under no circumstances does any money pass directly to LifeLock members.
If you live in New York state, the guarantee is not available to you due to New York state law.
Lifelock brings a level of convenience and simplicity to the otherwise complex task of protecting personal information from theft and abuse. For $10.00 or $15.00 a month, you can rest assured that everything that can be done is being done to keep your personal data safe.